Welcome to 2014 at Parkland College!
January 9th, 2014
Welcome back to all our returning students and staff! A hearty welcome to students beginning programs in the New Year such as Hospitality & Tourism, Carpentry, and Professional Firefighting. May you all enjoy your time with us and achieve the goals you’ve set out for yourself.
You may have seen this photo up on our Facebook or Twitter accounts this week. Winter can sure be beautiful but I think we’d all agree that it shouldn’t be that cold! Here’s hoping that the weather isn’t too extreme for the new semester.
Along with milder temperatures, there are many things to look forward to at Parkland College as we begin 2014.
- The Trades and Technology Centre project will move ahead and we’ll see it firsthand! Expect to see land preparations within the next couple of months at the building’s site in Yorkton along Highway 9 North between York Road and Darlington Street. Construction will begin soon after the site is ready. Our target is to open the new facility for classes in September 2015.
- We’re preparing to award a record number of scholarships to current and new students this year. The 2014 Internal Scholarships will be handed out at the end of March. More than 80 awards totaling about $100,000 are up for grabs. If you’re currently enrolled in a Parkland College program, you can apply for these scholarships RIGHT NOW until January 31. If you’re planning on beginning a program in the fall, you’ll be eligible for the Entrance Scholarships. That application period runs from March to May.
- New programs are coming to Parkland College to keep up with industry demand. In the next few weeks, we’ll be announcing partnerships to bring innovative and important programs to our region. Stay tuned for details on those.
- Preparations have already begun for our annual graduation ceremony. It’s happening on Friday, June 6 in Yorkton. Yes, that’s five months away, but it’s a huge job and takes many dedicated volunteer staff to pull it off. If you’re graduating this spring, important details will be revealed to you as the plan comes together.
- And the wheels will soon be in motion for our annual Dollars for Scholars Golf Classic. It takes place June 20 at Deer Park Golf Course in Yorkton. This is also a major event for us, as it’s a key fundraiser for our scholarship fund. Last year’s event raised about $28,000 and we’ll work to eclipse the $30,000 mark this summer.
All this and more is coming up in 2014. It’s going to be another exciting, jam-packed year and I’m glad you can share it with us. All the best in the New Year!